Sunday, March 3, 2013

Blog #5: "If Not, Winter"

Yesterday, I went into the park a little after five, one of the latest times I've been to the pond.  It was cloudy because of the precipitation Pittsburgh has been having, so there wasn't much to see in the evening colors of the sky. The snow the past day or two has been light and constant, and I imagine this is what it might feel like to be inside a snow globe: constantly having your world speckled with dots of white descending around you, small patches of white on the grasses, bits of snowflake lasting a minute on an eyelash or a hand before fading away. As I made my way carefully down the frosty stone steps built into the hillside, it was lovely to see everything capped with the tiniest mounds of white. With the various grey shades of the trees, the puffy sky, and the black of the stones that made up the archway ahead of me, it felt like seeing the world through a black and white filter; a live-action, old time film.

I dedicated part of my exploration today to a closer inspection of some of the plants.  It's hard to get a good look at some of them for identification right now, because of all the weather abuse and slight death they've been enduring.  I'm no artist, but I took out my pen and paper and attempted to draw some of the plants I saw.  I sketched some of the white snakeroot I mentioned before, which has one of the most lovely winter lives. It grows hard and brittle, browns, but still retains its delicate structure and a bit of a tawny colored tuft.


Among a lot of the trodden-on brush along the side of the water, I found some bush-like plants that I sketched and looked up on the internet later.  On the Pittsburgh Parks website, under 'conservancy projects' I read how they had planted native tiarella and heuchera shrubs in 2003 to increase the sustainability of the wetland area.  I think a lot of the bushes I saw were winter versions of Heuchera Shrubs, but it's still hard to be sure.

Around the border of the pond on the left side, there are tall, grassy pond plants.  Some of them I think may be rush plants.  Others are the taller, bigger versions of what I thought were pussy willows, but every time I search on the internet I only get pussy willows.  Instead of having many, tiny fuzzy buds, they usually have a big, fat brown top about the side of a glass soda bottle. I remember my first grade teacher pointing them out to us and mentioning that they only grow near water.  If anyone knows what these are actually called, let me know.

Lastly, I wandered to the far end of the pond that I don't go to as often, where the ducks usually are if they're there.  In the woods on that side, I found my favorite type of tree- the paper birch.  White bark is one of the most lovely aspects of nature to me, the way it seems rolled out in circling strips around the trunk, the deep, scarred notches of dark brown or black, how smooth it is when you lay your hand on its body. I have a book Sappho's poetry translated by Anne Carson called "If Not, Winter".  It's mainly fragments of the writing that has endured time since she wrote it, and though some poems have great chunks of lines missing, even the fragmented ideas of what Sappho was speaking to are so affecting.  One of my favorites is simply: "I long and seek after."

The cover of the book makes me think of the paper birch, with its satin white and etching of tans and blacks along the binding. The books title, along with the bark of the paper birch, are some of the most romantic aspects of winter I can think of.  "If Not, Winter" as a title speaks to this longing, this anticipation of something lost or unattainable being able to be reached in the Winter season.  Perhaps it speaks of lovers, unable to see one another, separated, or maybe even too conflicted to find peace with each other at a time, having the winter to look forward to and resolve their love within.  This idea makes the starkness of winter, the cold, the bare raw spaces, the peeling white bark of the birch, the snow falling in slow procession around us into a picturesque scene so enchanting, so nostalgic, so romantic in its still, still quiet.

After some research, I learned that the first budding leaves on paper birch plants can be used to make tea if you collect them.  This might be now what I am most looking forward to in Spring: gathering tiny new leaves off the birch, pinching them inside of my metal strainer ball, steeping and drinking such a fresh tea. I have a strange infatuation with the idea of becoming a tree. Its a very prominent theme in my work, as I think I've mentioned before, and the idea of drinking something made from such a gorgeous tree, bringing the tree into my body, is so stirring for me.  If I were ever to be reincarnated or perhaps have been something in a previous life, I think it would be a tree. I wrote something for my prose poem class with Sheryl, a sort of fantastical imagining of a woman becoming part of a tree, and it's still in the works but I'll share it below.




The Fullness of Sap 

She travels the long way down the tree branch. It is enormous, the width of twice her waist, extending for miles. Each foot touches its underside to the etched line of wood, steals energy from the rawness inside. This is a dream but it is still important.  The bough she's chosen is a vibratory one to travel, full of the hard thick flow of sap inside the hollow, milking its way to the tips, sweet if you can get to it. Imagine how it feels to dip a finger in, how the thickness would surprise you, full of pressure, color of hard, glowing amber.
The wind pulls a little ahead and the branch begins to rise and dip, rise and dip. She lies her belly down on the wood, wraps herself around the hardness, doesn’t listen to the creak of the bending bough. Hands touching, thighs tight against the branch, she lays an ear against the surface, listens to the humming. It takes its time, warming, milking.

Imagine the branch could gasp open, take her in slowly, dipping a leg, the pressure pulling the other deeper, deeper, enveloping the small back, the belly, arms drawing in, further, further, the chest and collar bones submerging, pulling, pulling, while the wind blew them around. How full it would be, supple when the branch dips, tensing when it pulls up. 
What a marvelous thing, the branch muses, to be entered, and so gently.






Link to the Schenley Park information:
http://www.pittsburghparks.org/schenleyprojects

4 comments:

  1. Haley, I admire your drawings! You say you're not an artist, but I beg to differ.

    The pond plant you're describing as not pussy willow may be cattails. Side note: This makes me wonder about all of the cat references in pond plant names!

    Your description of the white birch is lovely. There is something extraordinary about white bark. I now want to pick up a copy of "If Not, Winter." I love the idea of making paper birch tea.

    Also, thanks for sharing your prose poem. It is so powerful. It's one I want to read and re-read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haley, I love the photographs of your journal and your interpretations of the plants. The task of plant identification is something I've been dreading, partly because I think I'll find it confusing and hard to differentiate one variety from the next. But I think it's interesting that you took to this task just as spring is beginning, when the plants are still in some of the throes of death, not quite in bloom. It's an interesting theme--identification at our most withered, retaining our essence even when we lack the most vibrancy. I've been thinking about that theme a lot while preparing for my blogs, but haven't yet written about it. Your post reminds me again of how wondrous spring is and I look forward to reading more about your kinship with trees!

    Allyson

    ReplyDelete
  3. As the others, I think your drawings are really fantastic. Just great sketches! very evocative in theirt spareseness. I wish they were bigger:) I have got to say that I really like your work Haley. You and I have similar sensibilities and our eyes are drawn to many similar things. It is also ironic that we both picked parks in Pittsburgh.
    You have a very descriptive eye that takes in a great deal at once giving us a profile of your place, almost like an ariel view from below. But your eye doesn't skip anything. It finds each element acknowledges it with a simple and direct description then lets it go, never holding onto it for too long. I can hear my own voice in your language of thoughts. I say this because yesterday, i swear to you that the image of a snow globe was palpable and I almost used it. It was very appropriate. The small mounds of white and gray trees are constant visuals for me in my place as well. Which park are you in exactly? Schenley? Frick?
    Lastly, your transition into your love of trees and the white birch and the gorgeous book by Sappho was seamless and fluid and right and just plain interesting. I, like you have a love affait with trees and for many reasons. I touched on them a little in some of my blogs but haven't waxed poetic about them yet. Spring time I think. Thank you also for sharing your "Fullness of Sap" Very nice work. You can write Haley, but more than that, I like your writing. It is thorough, evocative, visual and what I like more than anything and believe is of the highest praise, is that it is easy. That's a tough thing to pull off. Keep em coming.

    Marc

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a moving entry and I am impressed that you made sketches! And that poem is just gorgeous and it deepens this entry. What I most appreciate here is how you're so fully engaging with the park, observing certainly but actively trying to learn it. Birch trees have to be my favorite too (after willows). You might want to do some research on them, see what sort of symbology or mythology exists that you are so drawn them. There's a lot of possibilities for additional writing beyond the blog in here.

    Oh, do you know this song (I couldn't find a better live version and the actual video is kind of silly)? I couldn't help but think of it when I read this entry :-)

    ReplyDelete