Sunday, January 27, 2013

Blog #2

It's about 11:30 A.M. when I start out for the pond but feels both earlier and later than that since I have only just woken up. A weird thing happens when you wake up near the end of morning.  Your body is still sleepy and warm, so the walk to the water was a little bit more lazy and a little bit less cold than my last walk here.  But also, the light of the day indicates immediately that it's almost mid-day, which makes for some confusion. Since my mind is in morning mode but knows that it's later, it somehow feels even later than 11:30 and also makes me feel like I've wasted the morning. Alas.

Trudging through the dusty white snow, most of it still fresh on the ground since there has been few travelers on these paths since Friday, I get caught up thinking about the light.  Sometimes I play a game with myself in the mornings. If I open my eyes and haven't checked the time,  I'll look out the window from my bed where the light pushes in between the blinds. Or if I'm at Michael's, I'll get up and walk to the window by the chair, not looking at the clock, and try to guess the time based on the light.  Obviously, this is a tried and true method of time indication (sundials), but with the science aside, there's something very distinct about sunlight throughout the day.  The rosy, yellow light of very early morning, which bleeds into the whiter, brighter light of morning, followed by the harder light of mid day. By afternoon the light is darker, somehow, even though it's still light.  Almost a fuller, rounder light, which catches more yellow as it goes on into evening, and blues as it fades to dusk.  There's always a feeling to perceive, too, if you're patient.  If you're still for long enough you can gather the energy, and sense the time of the day.  I like to do this, to test my connection to the earth and the light, to make demands upon my body's sense of energy and it's ties to the world.

By the time I finish all this light-pondering, I'm sitting again on the edge of the pond, looking at the frozen fish. I brought a tarp today, to put on top of the snow so I could sit for a while and not freeze. Most of the water is covered with a padding of snow, but spots have melted away in the sun over the past few days, and the frozen fish are still down there staring up at me with their big, round eyes. Looking around at the trees, most of the snow that had landed on branches has already melted or fallen away, and I'm disappointed for not getting to the pond before this.  Already the quietness that comes with the descent and coating of snow has dissipated, and the enchantment of white topped mazes in the woods is gone.

Still, I'm drawn to looking up at the trees.  My eyes scan the full length around the opening of the canopy.  The big oval of sky above is roughly the same shape of the pond, with branchy distinctions here and there.  I spread out my tarp and lie down in the middle, snow all around and that particular cerulean blue of sky up ahead.

When I was younger, I was driving in my car with my family somewhere and on the way back had fallen asleep against in the back seat.  I woke up before we had reached our house and not wanting to move, opened my bleary eyes out the window and up at the sky.  Tree outlines passed by, creating a break between the indigo and navy night, and the darker, deeper brown of the woods. After a few seconds of watching, I realized I knew exactly where we were from the outline of the trees.  I sat up to look at the road and found that we were right where I had expected us to be- route 100 just before the Catherine Avenue exit- which means nothing if you're not from Pasadena, MD, but it's about two miles from where I grew up.  This memory has always stuck with me, probably about 12 years after the fact, even to the point of remembering the exact place in the road that we were.  I was fascinated then as I am still now that without even trying to memorize that information, I had spent so much time looking at the trees out the window of the car that I knew each indentation, each odd branch, each curve in the outline of the woods.


I spent my twenty minutes by the pond today lying on my tarp in the hard sun of the nearing afternoon, just looking at the outline of the trees, trying to memorize.



_____________________________________________________________________________________



Trees make their own silhouettes
hold arched hands against
            a dense sky, 
                        folding, folding
they rebel against the air,
seize a new space to stab with branches,
            shudder into a gasp of buds and knobs,
                         breathless, bare against a colder weather.
Always the reaching oak regards me,
            dark across the lawn.
I bristle at its lenient bend in wind,
wish I could be less like it:
                        how it trembles at the tips,
                        holds everything within,
                        traps records of the years.


8 comments:

  1. I really enjoy your description of light throughout the day. What a beautiful idea that you use the light to test your connection with the earth.

    I don't know if I've ever recognized a group of treetops while driving well enough to locate myself. I think realizations like the one you had as a kid in the car are special gifts that, when received and cherished, allow us to better understand the world around us.

    Your poem is lovely. Is the form reminiscent of the tree line you memorized today?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amy Lee! I think the recognition in the car was indeed a one time thing to be cherished; I can't recall any other time it's happened or where it would, now that I'm usually driving the car haha. I did try to make the end lines of my poem branch out in certain places like the tree line, but I also tend to space my poems in that way pretty regularly.

      Delete
  2. I love the tarp idea. I am biased because I wrote a poem about putting a tarp in our bathroom during the hellish rain we got around Hurricane Sandy. There is a beautiful, almost mermaid like image at the end here, of you lying on the tarp. What did that feel like? I'm thinking of what an ariel view of that would look like.

    I'm with Amy Lee on the poem, nailed it girl! I like the eloquence of the violent imagery in nature that you used with the stabbing of branches and the bare, cold winter. It speaks to the brutality of even nature. I wonder, what do you think about that? Or maybe that was not what you intended.

    I like that this is so conversational. You are drawn to the trees and it distracts you, although its not supposed to particularly be your focus. I think that nature is spontaneous in this way, we can't quite know what will grab hold of us. You catured that in a lovely way, with great transition. I enjoyed this. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I love the mermaid image! I thought of that when I went back today. Maybe someone on the bridge above the pond saw me and thought the same thing.. Or maybe I should enlist someone to take a photograph from the bridge and we'll get to see the arial view :]
      I'm glad you picked up on the sort of violence in the beauty I wrote into the poem. I didn't write it with that intention but as I was reading over it after the initial writing, I felt that it was too peaceful for the harsh cold, the beautiful but threatening hard branches, so I introduced some more visceral and active imagery. I wasn't necessarily thinking of brutality of nature, but that's definitely something I'll be thinking about with further pieces I write at the pond. Thank you for your comments!

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous poem! I love how you've focused in this entry on how the natural world in its many forms that we take for granted - light, trees - can situate and orient us, both literally and metaphorically. Those are some compelling ideas that could serve as the seed of something larger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mel! I've actually been thinking a lot about those two thoughts I had in this entry and ways to work that into another writing- maybe a prose poem, which is what we're studying in our poetry workshop. It was so interesting for me to go to the pond last week and have those two thoughts surface, one that I hadn't thought about in years. And with the light, it's something I find myself doing so regularly but simply out of habit, and by going to the pond it became a conscious thought and idea to write about. I love when things like that happen :}

      Delete
  4. I'd forgotten that you, too, are blogging from a pond. I'm a little jealous that you can see fish in the water. I wonder what the difference is that keeps the fish active where you are. Water depth? And, what a good idea to bring a tarp!

    You bring up some interesting ideas in this post. I love that you challenge yourself to guess the time by the light. I thought about this when we read the Ackerman piece and she talked about telling time and direction with a sundial. It made me realize how pathetic I'd be if I had to rely on information from the sun. You do a nice job describing the different lights as the sun moves across the sky.

    I also love the anecdote about seeing the treetops and guessing where you are. That's such a lovely image, a sleepy girl in a car looking at the treetops and knowing how close to home she is. You should use that in your writing, somewhere, if you haven't already!

    And you poem is wonderful. I really like that last few lines, comparing yourself to the tree holding everything in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori,
      Thank you for your comments! The tarp was a very good idea, I highly suggest it :] Also, in my first blog I mentioned this, but unfortunately the fish I referred to are frozen! There's a couple along the edge sort of suspended in the icy water, but they are indeed frozen. I almost wish I couldn't see them, but I suppose this is part of life.

      Delete